Several years ago we went to Stake and Shake for a meal and I ordered their vegetable soup. It was delicious! So much so that whenever we went there after that everyone in the family would get shakes with their meals, except me–I got the soup. I wanted to recreate it at home and this hearty soup is the result. I think I like this even better than Steak and Shake’s recipe! Also, it is a very “forgiving” soup. I rarely measure the ingredients when I make it myself and it always turns out great. Plus, you can substitute different veggies and such, as your taste dictates. You may just have to adjust the cooking times a bit.
A pot like this definitely makes this soup more fun to make, but any large pot will do:
The Best Vegetable Soup Ever
A hearty, satisfying vegetable soup. It is so thick, it's actually more of a stew. So good!
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- to taste salt and pepper
- 1 8 ounce can of tomato paste
- 1 cup pasta I used Barilla Veggie Penne Tomato and Carrot (You can easily omit this to make it gluten free if needed)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 5 beef bouillon cubes (could try subbing veggie bouillon cubes if you want a vegetarian or vegan option
- 1/2 bag mixed veggies with corn, carrots, peas and green beans
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 TBS celery flakes
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 2 cups water
In a large pot, saute chopped onion and garlic until opaque.
Add vegetable stock, water, tomato paste and beef bouillon cubes and bring to a boil.
Add carrots, pasta and potatoes.
When the carrots, potatoes and pasta are almost done (about 9-10 minutes), add the mixed veggies.
Add thyme, onion powder, celery flakes, celery salt and salt and pepper.
Let cook for additional 1-2 minutes and serve.